Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Oh the arts...

Artists create all sorts of art: paintings, sculpture, literature, jewelry and… music. Inspired by recent musical encounters, this issue is dedicated to thoughts on being an artist and especially how music and jewelry creators have certain traits in common

“I create, therefore I am” Michelangelo said, and I think this is true for every person who is creating any kind of art. Most of us aren’t famous and wealthy, and would probably do a lot better financially if we were doing other kinds of jobs, but I daresay, that any person who is doing art in any shape or form “for a living” is doing so, because he or she just can’t NOT do it. It’s a strange urge that drives us into constant refinement and exploration of our respective fields and when we manage to achieve something close to what we consider perfection, all is well – the heavens open, the angels sing, we smile and are calm, energized and happy.

At least that’s how it works for me, but I have been wondering lately, if that is the case for all artists. I know, that I create the best pieces when I am happy and feel good – often they come to me in the morning, just after waking up. Something I have seen in the days before that particular night has apparently crystalized into a new and very much Karin shape. See an example of that process here :



Others, however, use their pain and frustration as fuel for creation. The philosopher (okay, now I am taking the notion “art” onto another level completely) Kierkegaard said: What is a poet? An unhappy person who conceals profound anguish in his heart but whose lips are so formed that as sighs and cries pass over them they sound like beautiful music. People crowd around and say to him, "Sing again soon"- in other words, may new sufferings torture your soul.” While I understand the urge to create when being unhappy – freeing yourself or at least making some sense of your misery by expressing it - I am however unable to work like that myself, though it would be terribly bohemian, wouldn’t it?


Jewelry inspired by elven harp music

I call this issue the musical issue, because I have lately been very inspired by music when creating my own art. As you might have noticed, I was so fortunate as to host a small concert with the brilliant harp player Kim Skovby in my gallery at midsummer. If you weren’t able to join, here is a video:


The upcoming of this event spurred me into creating four pendants and a ring, all featuring the cool and opaque green chrysiophrase:

The harp pendant inspired by the shape of the Irish harp. I love both the shape and the sound of this instrument, and created my own silver version with a small chrysioprase and – of cause – strings of gold. 3100 kr.



The Lyra ring inspired by the ancient harp of antiquity. This symmetrical harp is naturally lending its shape to my love for curls. A large oval chrysiophrase is featured as the centerpiece, while small golden balls dance non-symmetrically along the lines of the instrument. As an extra little treat, I have cut out a tiny artwork at the back, which will become the personal secret of the future bearer. 2800 kr



The G-notes inspired pendants are right up my alley: elegant and curly shapes created with wire. All are adorned with small chrysioprazes and the smallest with happy golden balls. This will look good on a shorter chain, while the two larger ones I think are best on 70-80 cm chains. 2800 kr - 1400 for the larger ones made of only silver



By the way: Kim will be performing at the gallery again later this year. We are fondly playing with the idea of a Tolkien inspired concert leading up to the launch of the new Hobbit movies this winter. I’ll keep you informed on the exact date as we get closer!


Your gift to me as an artist

Kims lovely and calm music in the somewhat private setting of my gallery was a complete contrast to “Kløften Festival” – a music festival in my hometown Haderslev in Southern Jutland. I haven’t attended this festival for 20 years and it was definitely a very interesting trip down memory lane when I finally joined the fun this summer.

However, unlike previous concert experiences, this time I found myself identifying with the performing artists on stage. Our media is different for sure, but as I watched the small and still rather unknown indie/rock band Öberg on one of the smaller stages, it occurred to me, that both of us strive for perfection. What I also realized was, that while we are totally engulfed in each our art, being absolute experts on it, we will probably never be completely satisfied with what we create. I listened to a band, which I judged very professional and talented, but I am sure, that they themselves constantly heard each other play a chord slightly off or being just not quite on track with the others.

In the same way I am almost never 100% satisfied with my pieces and always find some larger or smaller fault. I have accepted that most of my customers will never see these “flaws” or just perceive them as a part of a perfect whole and that, in fact, is a gift from you to me:

Just like I was able to enjoy the concerts by the many musicians at the festival, thereby telling them, that their work is great and seems like a perfect work of art to me, you are able to see and appreciate the whole of my pieces and not the tiny details that I, as a somewhat nerdy professional tend to obsess about.
My work looks perfect as it is mirrored in the eyes of you, my wonderful customers.

Thank you so much for that gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment