Friday, May 28, 2010

Fairytale lamp – two versions


My studio is slowly coming together and apart from the many obvious tasks (build a good table for instance), I am working on the many small details that will make this room amazing. One of them is the central lamp, which will provide light over the “counter”-end of my table.  Very quickly I had created an idea in my head: find a second hand cone-shaped lamp on a flea market and provide it with some kind of curly hood in copper.
Together with my daughter and my friend Michael I went through a number of flea markets, where he spotted a suitable lamp, even reasonably cheap. Then I created this decoration, turning a simple piece into something altogether more fairytalish.

Most of it is copper, but given the fact that we are in a jewelry studio, I adorned the flower with a moonstone in a fine silver bezel and finally made the flower pop by gilding it with 24 carat gold leaf.

I was very satisfied with the end result – so much that I’m considering if I should make a few for sale as well, and showed it to my boyfriend and pre-school daughter. She completely fell in love with it and begged me to create one for her too. “I’d love to” I said “but I don’t have time at the moment” So, what does a creative and resourceful little girl do, when met with that kind of answer? Why of cause create one herself! So she took a look at her own bedside lamp, which also happened to be cone-shaped and adorned it with what she had at hand: strands of wooden beads and stickers:
  
I’d say she managed to get a fairly good impersonation, kid-style and am of cause an immensely proud mum :-)

1 comment:

  1. I would go so far as to say you BOTH did a beautiful job on your lamps!! :D

    ReplyDelete